Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's a wrap in Nairobi

1. Al Jazeera is really just like CNN

During limited free time, I have been enjoying having a television available in my hotel room (I don’t have such luxuries while at home in Los Angeles).  On my first night in Africa, I was scanning the available stations and was somewhat disappointed when I found that most of them were of the bible thumper type.  After digging a bit deeper, I managed to find a few gems in the channel lineup including a 24 hour soccer network, the Hallmark channel and surprisingly,  Al Jazeera.  I have never watched Al Jazeera before, and all I knew prior to my arrival in Nairobi was that it was a “terrorist network” – or at least according the American media.  What I have found is that really, Al Jazeera is a news source like any other.  Although it might have a Muslim bias, it is no more corrupt than the other stations– and far less corrupt than the likes of FOX news.


2.  I may avoid mammals but I am still a carnivore

The Nairobi locals that we have worked with and met have all encouraged us to visit a place in town called “The Carnivore.”  After hearing about it all week, we decided to make a dinner trip on Thursday evening.  It turns out that the Carnivore is a meat house – serving all you can eat meat off of skewers that “carvers” carry past your table throughout your meal.  Most of the meat is familiar – chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and pork but there are a few more exotic offerings including ostrich (we were also promised zebra and crocodile but never saw any of these skewers make an appearance).   Carnivore is strangely close to the national park (called the “game park” by the locals) that we visited on Wednesday, but despite a questionable locale, we thoroughly ourselves.  For those of you that are wondering, no I did not eat the mammals; I managed to get quite full on all of the avian options (the ostrich meatballs were delicious). 


3.  Yes, Africa can too

Yesterday, we had the opportunity to visit the Masai market in Nairobi.  The trinkets and tokens that were available were what as expected; handmade jewelery, bags, scarves etc. but what was not expected were many images of Obama.  There were blankets woven with his face, and beaded bracelets with his name and “U.S.A.” enscribed on them. The Kenyan people have embraced the election of Obama and regard him as a symbol of hope for change on their own continent.  There have been many “yes, we can” references during our classes and during our dinner last night, the keynote speaker asked the audience “Who will be Africa’s Obama?”’  They also see his election as a celebratory end to the Bush regime – while talking to one of the staff at the training facility yesterday he told us (without prompting) that the Americans were seen as bullies when Bush was in power and that he is hopeful that this will end now that we have elected Obama.

It is fascinating to think about what an impact our politics have on other parts of the world. Even though I do not like to think of the United States as the center of the universe, in some ways I suppose it is.  If we must be the center of attention, I am glad that the attention is finally leaning toward the positive.  Although I cannot imagine owning an Obama blanket anytime soon, I am glad that they are for sale.


4. Sometimes the wrapping is more precious than the present

While at the market, one of my colleagues purchased some fragile souvenirs, which were wrapped in newspaper in order to protect them on the trip home.  Upon returning to the bus we investigated the newspaper and found it to be of a questionable nature – the main article was titled “Secrets of Women’s deadly Body Parts.”  Upon reading it, we realized we had gotten a souvenir unlike any other.   The text of one of the paragraphs, referring to the “bum” started with “These sexplosive cannon balls…”  Truly priceless.


The evidence

5.  The white girl dance is even whiter in Africa

Last night, we wrapped up our program in Kenya with a gradation ceremony and dinner.  We held similar graduations during our programs at UCLA but the atmosphere was never quite like it was here in Africa.  All of the participants were festively dressed in “African” attire and after dinner there was traditional (I think) African dancing.  As you might imagine, there were some rather funny moments during the dancing shenanigans – my lack of rhythm was more apparent than ever during my signature white girl dance, but I did not care too much after several Tuskers (I will miss them).  It was an amazing week in Kenya and I am very excited to see what is in store for us over the next week in Accra!

Me with one of my participants

No comments: